Fabric and Care Instructions
About the Fabric:
"Eco-Silk" is the signature brand name for the fabric currently used to make all Aloha & Light baby carriers and blankets. It consists of a blend of hemp fiber and silk. After first experimenting with cotton and linen, Janel ultimately chose to exclusively use Eco-Silk to make her baby carriers due to the fabric's incredible versatility and unique advantages:
- Eco-Silk delivers a buttery soft texture from day one. There's no "crunch factor" or "breaking in period," making it immediately cozy for you and baby, while also being extremely easy to thread and adjust.
- Eco-Silk is extremely lightweight and breathable. Breathability makes it comfortable and will help keep you and baby cool in warm climates, and the lightweight/non-bulky qualities of the fabric make it very easy to layer under a jacket in cooler climates.
- Eco-Silk is super low maintenance! Aloha & Light ring slings and blankets can be both machine washed and machine dried! (See specific Care Instructions, below.)
- Eco-Silk is unbelievably strong and supportive. Hemp fiber is one of the strongest and most durable of all natural textile fibers. You'll be amazed at the level of supportiveness offered by this thin and lightweight single layer of fabric (when combined with the Aloha & Light Signature Quad Shoulder that comes standard on all A&L slings), making it an ideal choice for newborns and toddlers*, alike! (*Ring slings are safety tested up to 35 lbs, and onbuhimos are safety tested/rated up to 40 lbs)
- Eco-Silk is water-friendly! Although Eco-Silk baby carriers are supportive enough for everyday use, through all seasons, they are amazing for water use, too! Due to the strength of the fabric, it resists stretching when wet, and its porous nature allows it to dry quickly. Additionally, hemp fiber is naturally resistant to mold and ultraviolet light!
RING SLINGS, WRAPS and BLANKETS:
- Machine wash separately, gentle cycle (warm or cold water), mild detergent
- Tumble dry low heat or air dry
- No bleach
ONBUHIMOS AND ECO FINS
- Due to the foam padding in the new A&L Eco Onbuhimos and Eco-Fins, hand washing with a mild detergent (no bleach!) is recommended for this carrier. Hang dry or lay flat to dry.
- Iron on silk setting or use a clothing steamer
- **ONBUHIMOS and ECO-FINS: be careful to avoid the webbing and foam padding areas if using an iron. Steaming these areas is OK.
After Water Use (pool, beach, splash pad, etc.):
- Simply rinse in warm or cold water as soon as possible after water use to rinse out any salt or chlorine, etc. Then wash, as needed, per washing instructions, above. Always make sure your products are not in direct sunlight when drying.
Vinegar Wash Before Water Use (if necessary):
- Remember to check your carrier for color bleeding before using it in the water. There are certain colors that are more difficult to rinse than others — and it’s not necessarily just darker colors. We do our very best to ensure fabric is rinsed until water runs clear, but that doesn’t mean dye can’t occasionally get trapped in fibers.
- Here’s how to check your carrier: You can wet a piece of your carrier and wring water out to see if water is clear. If it is, then you’re good to go. You may also take a wet wipe and rub it over the fabric; if it stays white, then you’re good!
- If you happen to have a carrier that bleeds dye, please do a hot vinegar wash. One cup of vinegar in hot water should do the trick. If you’re still having trouble, please contact us directly.
- When buying a used carrier, please ask the seller for a color test prior to purchase, as we cannot replace a carrier under warranty unless you’re the original owner. Mahalo for your understanding. ✨🌈✨